Event Time Offset (e.g. trigger half an hour prior to sunset)

LGNEOLGNEO Member Posts: 46
edited May 2019 in         English

Is there a way to have a time offset? For example if I want something triggered 1/2 hour before sunset. I can use a timer for a post sunrise/sunset but trying to figure out how to do it prior to sunrise/sunset. If there isn't a way to do it. will there be in the future?

Best Answers

• LGNEOLGNEO Posts: 46
    Accepted Answer

Hi @Christian, No this is the same that I have battled.The solution, at last for me, is to use iFTTT service Weather Underground for my area sunset and then add the delay for ~ 23 hours. This does not fire every ~15 minutes to confuse the delay timer. Works rather well! Thanks to @neorealism for the idea, and whose idea also worked.

Answers

• ChristianChristian Administrator, Moderator Posts: 2,035 admin

Hi @LGNEO, I could provide you with a workaround if still interested.

• LGNEOLGNEO Member Posts: 46
    > @Christian said:
    > Hi @LGNEO, I could provide you with a workaround if...
    Yes that would be nice!
    Also, other former Stringify users would appreciate this as well. Thx

Hi @Christian - Have had a chance with a workaround for the time offset?

Hi @LGNEO, I have these two suggestions: 1) Use the Conrad Connect sensor Is Day or Night? as a trigger and combine it with a delay sensor. The delay sensor offset is then 84600‬ seconds (23.5 hours x 60 min x 60 sec). The connected actuator is then limited to "Once per day" so as to ensure it only gets triggered once per day. 2) Alternatively use the Weather Underground triggers as offered by IFTTT (they offer 15 min prior to sunset), then create a webhook reaching out to Conrad Connect in order to trigger your project there. You can also combine the two methods. Let me know if you need more help.

Hi @Christian - I like the first suggestion, iFTTT does not offer a sunrise offset - selected or fixed. It just simply says that the Sunrise trigger will fire within 15 minutes of the sunrise for the selected area. The are just saying that it will not be exactly at sunrise. Maybe we can talk ConradConnect into giving an option for an event offset?

Hi @LGNEO, interesting. Actually, 15 minutes is a pretty common intervall for such services or sensors.

• neorealismneorealism Member Posts: 2

As a workaround, the easiest way of getting the time you want is to choose a place to the east of your actual location on the same latitude for the trigger. The further east the place, the longer the offset.

Hi @Christian & @neorealism - the idea of putting the delay timer for 23.5 hours has not worked.
    @neorealism, I was thinking of that, but I would have to change my time zone in my account/profile settings.(?) if I did that, then I would have to change my time triggers in my other projects - wouldn't I?

Hi @LGNEO, that assumption is right. What happened trying the 23.5 hours approach? Was it too much in total?

@Christian, nothing happened. In all fairness, I have that 'event' placed within another project as it's own 'event'. At night sensor, feeding the delay timer set at 84,600 seconds, feeding the LifX actuator and the actuator is set to trigger once per day.

Let me please try as well, @LGNEO!

@Christian, Besides the test feature, is there a way to force the actuator and delay to happen quicker?
    @Christian, what I am going to do is take that event sequence out of the project I have it in now and create a new project with just this sequence. I guess i will let you know tomorrow after sunset at gmt -4 😉

@LGNEO schrieb:
    @Christian, Besides the test feature, is there a way to force the actuator and delay to happen quicker?

There is only the Test button.

• neorealismneorealism Member Posts: 2

@LGNEO What I do is use a Weather Underground trigger on IFTTT as you can set the location specifically so you don't have to worry about timezone changes.

@neorealism, that sounds like a workable solution and a good idea. I'll play around with it. Thanks!

Hi @LGNEO, I'll keep you posted as well.

Hi @christg @Christian - Testing your hypothesis. Created a project with the 82979 second delay. I will wait till tomorrow evening to see if it triggered. Thanks for your in depth analysis of the issue. Christian - As interesting and fun as this has been, wouldn't it be easier for all, including new users (as I), to have an offset option available as part of the day/night trigger? - just a thought.

Hi @LGNEO, thanks. I took a note on our wishlist already May!

Hi @Christian @christg - Found something that you folks may know, but I just found. The Day/Night Sensor triggered 15 minutes past sunset, and then continued triggering every 15 minutes after that!? So this is why I have not been able to get my actuator working correctly. The delay keeps getting triggered every 15 minutes. The Day/Night needs to get re-coded to trigger once at sunset or once at sunrise. Now that I know this. its back to re configuring my project to allow for the repeated trigger. Will keep you updated.

edited June 2019

@LGNEO wrote:
    The Day/Night Sensor triggered 15 minutes past sunset, and then continued triggering every 15 minutes after that!?

There is a very easy solution to it. Please select Limit to Once a day, when configuring the actuator:

@Christian - I have tried that earlier. For troubleshooting, I placed an email actuator both before and after the time delay. This is when I found that the Day/Night was triggering every 15 minutes. i am assuming that every time it triggers that its night, it starts and restarts the timer therefore never activating the actuator after the timer. If I tell the actuator to limit to once a day, it still does not work since the timer is always resetting.

edited June 2019

Hi @LGNEO, please understand these sensors as follows: Every 15 minutes, a routine checks whether the question "Is Day?" results in a TRUE statement. This would then trigger the subsequent actuator every 15 minutes. Unless you limit triggering the actuator.

@Christian - I can understand that, it seems that routine would take up a lot of bandwidth in the server. But, if that triggers a timer, as in my case, will this then constantly restart the timer so then the timer never activates the actuator? In my test project where I have email actuators before and after the timer, the email actuator after the timer never activated. While the email actuator before the timer activated every 15 minutes (which you explained). Something is preventing this simple project from working!