Does a manual power on a connected plug socket behave like a sensor?

olivierolivier Member Posts: 4

Hi,

I have a basic question related to connected plug socket like e,g the TP-Link HS100 .

1. I want to avoid the stand-by costs for my Sonos Play 1
  2. when you power-on a sonos, it does not play a predefined favorite or the last radio channel. It also does not signal as a sensor that it was powered on and registered in the WLAN
  3. I do not want to have to go in the app to then start a predfined radio-station after the sonos has registered in the wlan
    Therefore, I'd like to have following scenario:
  4. I connect the sonos to the connected plug socket
  5. The plug socket does not deliver any power to the sonos. -> no sonos stand-by. Great
  6. When I press manually on the physical button on the connected plug socket, then sonos gets power and registers in my Wlan
  7. Then I want from the connected plug that it triggers to the just powered on sonos a "play favorite" action. triggering such an action is possible. What I do not know is if I get a "trigger" ("sensor"), when I manually power-on the connected plug with its physical button

I know, I want to use a connected plug socket for an usage which is not the standard one. Usually 8as I understood), you trigger some action to the connected plud "swirtch on/switch off". I want to make the inverted way. I want to know from the connectd plug when it was manually (with its physical button) powered on or not.
Since I do not want to purchase sevarl connected plug socket to try. I thought I could ask in the community if someone has an answer. Thank you in advance, and please apologize if this question is completely stupid....

Answers

• ChristianChristian Administrator, Moderator Posts: 1,827 admin
    edited July 9

Hi @olivier, very interesting problem. Let me please give you some answers:

• Smart plugs (aka plug sockets) also consume a little stand-by energy, I would briefly google and compare to see whether it's worth it
    • Yes, if a particular smart plug offers this particular sensor function (= ability to detect whether the smart plug is ON or OFF) this should be doable, no matter how you switch it (manually vs. app).

Please create a project and check if this sensor function is provided for your TP-Link HS100. If yes, please create project (aka routine) as such: IF Smart plug = ON, THEN start a delay of 120 sec (in order to allow the Sonos to connect to the WiFi), THEN play your favourite track or radio station.

• olivierolivier Member Posts: 4
    edited July 9

Hi @Christian , thank you. You are right; for the stand-by energy sonos vs. smart plug. As the sonos player 1 has a consumption of about 4 W in standby, I assume it is much more than a smart plug.
    Thank you for your proposal, this is excatly what I thought about.
    Nevertheless, I am afraid my question was still not answered: I wanted to know if somebody knows some smart plug which has as sensor function the ability to detect whether the smart plug is ON or OFF. I do not have any TP-Link HS100 currently, and before purchasing such equipment, I wanted to know which one supports the capability that I need...

Hi @Bernd, do you know which of these smart plugs offer sensor capabilities? Does the TP-Link HS100 do?

edited July 10

Hi @olivier, we have amended the german version of this list of compatible smart plugs so as to indicate which smart sockets work like sensors. The TP-Link ones do not offer this capability.

• christgchristg Member Posts: 42
    edited July 10

OK, so you mean that there is no smart plug which can be used as sensor with the conrad connect system? :-(
    If this is so, I may have to look at other frameworks, maybe they support such sensors...

edited July 10

Hi @olivier, please check the German version - which we've created just for you. Homematic IP, Homematic and innogy do what you want, however, they require a gateway (which is power consuming as well). In addition to that, I was just told that the Tuya WiFi Switch is having this particular sensor function and doesn't need a gateway. Please note, that considering the complexity of the subject matter (thousands of compatible devices) I can not guarantee this.