Limiting observations recorded in a spreadsheet

bjehnbergbjehnberg Member Posts: 13

Hallo world.

I have learned how to record sensor values från my Weatherhub sensors in a Google spreadsheet, but the number of recorded observations (rows entered in the spreadsheet) depends on the manufacturer's data refresh interval, as explained in this note
https://help.conradconnect.de/hc/en-us/articles/360000541398-How-often-is-data-refreshed-from-connected-products-
In this case the refresh interval can vary from less than a minute at least the 10 minutes, and I want to put a limit on how many of these observations really should be recorded in my spreadsheet. I can, of course, use the limit parameter in the Google actuator, but the shortest interval therein is 1 hour, and I would like to have one observation recorded every 15 minute (or one of every 5th observation or something like that). I have tried both the Counter and Delay functions, but I can't figure out if the really deliver what I want (or if it is even possible to create a behavour as described above).

Comments

• ChristianChristian Administrator, Moderator Posts: 1,496 admin

Hi @bjehnberg, interesting, but there is no ad hoc solution I can think of at the moment. Let me keep that in mind...

• bjehnbergbjehnberg Member Posts: 13

Hi Christian, never mind. A data capture once every hour will be good enough. What I am not exactly sure about is the process flow. One might surmise it works like this: Conrad Connect is mainly a cloud-to-cloud system and I suppose that new data values from (in this case) the weather sensors are push fed from the Weatherhub/MobileAlert Observer cloud into the Conrad Connect cloud and then appear in the sensor widgets I have specified. If all conditions are fullfilled (=TRUE) and the actuator limit is set to "Always" then the actuator (Google in my case) is executed immediately. But what if the limit is set to "Once per hour". When is the actuator executed in that case?. Can it be any time between HH:00 and HH:59?

Hi @bjehnberg, yes, it can be any minute, but most likely inbetween '15 and '45.

OK, so that's the way it is. Despite that I have found some strange behavour with the "Limit to once per hour" actuator setting. Have a look at this series of weather observations from one of my observation sites for the 14th of August (click on the "Table" tab in order to get the full history for the observations this day).
    https://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/observations/details/20190814t7ry8yp6pye6ucrdyyb96sp8hr
    As you can see it's a hole in the series, no values have been reported between 2 o'clock and 3 o'clock AM this morning, i.e. the Google actuator has not been triggered/executed during this interval. The values captured from the weather sensors are stored in a Google spreadsheet as in intermediate processing step, and the same values and timestamps are found within the actual spreadsheet. So the problem must clearly be located within the Conradconnect project. Why is that? The upper and lower bounds are set to 100/-50 (temperature sensor) and 100/0 (humidity) and the sensor widgets are combined with a general connector with an "in range" condition, so there cannot be any logical problems with the process control.

edited August 14

Hi @bjehnberg, thanks. Which particular observation makes you believe, that the problem is on our side? Just missing data within the respective spreadsheet? Or did you crosscheck (e.g. comparing Weatherhub app data with Google Sheets)? I am asking because we had a simliar behavior before and I remember that this needed to be solved on the manufacturer's side.

Hi Christian, that's absolutely a valid question. I have looked att the observation values extracted from the Weatherhub Observer cloud and there are in fact a number of observations recorded between 2 o'clock anf 3 o'clock, but unfortunaly that does not prove very much. The Weatherhub architecture works like this: A weather value is measured by a sensor, transmitted with a radio signal to a nearby internet connected gateway and from the latter unit forwarded to the Observer cloud. If the radio transmission is disturbed or if the connection with the gateway is completely lost, I think (but I'm not absolute sure about this) the sensor has to capability to store at least a limited number of values. When the connection with the gateway is restored the values from the sensor's memory are tranrferrered to the gateway and likewise to the Observer cloud. So in this case it might as well have been a local distortion at the observer site which prevented the weather values from entering the Conradconnect cloud, and the actuator might not have been triggered for that reason. If this is correct the is no way to further investigate this event, but a possible solution for the future is to set up an almost identical project, with the only difference that this project has the actuator limit set to "Always" instead. If such an event as described above occurs once more it would be fairly easy to decide whether an observation (or a set of observations) was inserted into the Conradconnect cloud or not. If not, the problem is clearly on the manufacturer's side.
    Best regards/Björn