Obtaining wind direction from wind sensor

Lately i've been thinking about adding a TFA/MobileAlerts/TechnoLine wind sensor to one of my weather observation sites. But when I took a look att the wind direction widget for this type of sensor, I found that the wind direction is obtained from the widget not as a parameter value, but as a state (i.e. the sensor is in state N, NE, E, SE etc.) so that the actual wind direction can be used as a condition in a logical gate but not directly captured as a column value in a, for example, Google actuator(Googele spreadsheet). Any solution to that? Another mysterious thing I found is that, while the wind sensor has a resolution of 22,5 degrees (the sensor can deliver the wind direction expressed in 16 separate values - N, NNE, NE, ENE, E etc. ) but the wind director widget has only 8 different states, i.e. for the cardinal and intercardinal directions (4 + 4 =8) but not the secondary intercardinal directions (see wikipedia article for this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardinal_direction

Comments

• ChristianChristian Administrator, Moderator Posts: 1,826 admin

Hi @bjehnberg, thanks, I have forwarded this to the technical support team.

• bjehnbergbjehnberg Member Posts: 23

Thanks a lot, Christian. One could express different opinions on how the wind direction widget is implemented, but given the fact that it is implemented as described, I tried a workaround which looks like this
    As you may see I have used a number of logic AND gates in order to sort out the different wind direction states of the wind direction widget. Every gate represents a certain state (i.e. a wind direction, in this case the cardinals N, E , S, W) and trigger a certain Google actuator with the wind direction expressed as a constant (letter N, E, S, W or the similar expressed in degrees) in the message (they all use the same spreadsheet and the same colums for this). Since the condition is AND they are all mutually exclusive, i.e. not more than one actuator can be triggered for a certain wind direction. Not a very elegant solution, but it should work. If you want to record any further weather data (or the intercardinals) in the same project you have to subscribe for the Enhanced Projects Premium Service, but that's just a financial problen, not a technical =) .

But when I try to go live with this project it is rejected witht the message "Internal server error" . Why? I hav'nt got my own wind sensor installed yet, so in this case I used the Conrad demo sensor, but as I understand it, it should not make any difference.
    Best regards/Björn

edited August 16

Hi @bjehnberg, first of all thanks for your patience testing so many things! I can disucss this case on Monday. What does the COMBO gate do exactely with the temperature and humidity data here? I am uncertain how these parameters help distinguishing the wind direction. Other than that, I suggest that you connect the output of all AND gates with one more OR gate which ultimately ends in one Google Sheet actuator. Please have a look here. In order to test whether this might solve your problem, please also remove the upper Google Sheets actuator temporarily.

PS: The support will be creating a ticket in order to address this.

Hi Christian, and thank you for your response.
    I knew you would ask me that question. The Humidity and temperature has nothing to do with the wind direction, it was only a tryout to create a realistic situation where I could be able to capture both wind driection and other weather data. Here are some further reflections:

Pro primo: I must say, like Will Shakespeare, there is something rotten in the implementation of the wind direction widget. In the last setup I tried just a couple of minutes ago I used only one logic AND gate to test only one wind direction state (at the moment the setup was done the widget showed the state "S", so that's the value I used in my AND gate - the only choices you have in the gate, when connected to the wind direction widget, are the 8 cardinals and intercardinals). But when i try to save go live with the project, the error message "Node Windmesser_-_Demo_Sensor_Berlin_Wind_direction_1 [In Range, Below, Above] has no state S" is displayed (it doesn't matter which state I chose to test on, all available values in the AND gate give the same result) ????????

Pro secundo: It would be extremely convenient if the wind direction widget could offer the actual wind direction not only as a state but also as a parameter. As this is'nt the case for the time being, the only way to get hold of the wind direction is the structure I sketched earlier, with one logic AND gate for every wind direction state, and the corresponding constant value i the message part of the actual actuator. These branches (for the different wind direction states) cannot be joined in an OR gate because in that case you won't be able to determine the wind direction state at all. Or am I thinking upside down here?
    Best regards/Björn

Hi @bjehnberg, the support team has created a product request according to you suggestions.

Absolutely fine, Christian. It shouldn't be that difficult as the parameter value is already contained within the the wind direction sensor. If I enter the demo wind direction sensor in a project an click on the "test" button for this object I'll get the actual wind direction, expressed in degrees. It should be fairly easy to make thjs parameter accessible in a Google spreadsheet actuator as well. Any timeframe for this?

Hi @bjehnberg, thanks, I've passed this information along. Unfortunately, I cannot commit to any time frame.